Sumatra (100 x Intense Espresso)
Regular price £39.00
A full-bodied, rich and strong coffee with a unique intense taste.
|Strength||6 / 7|
|Quality||83 (SCAA score)|
A full-bodied and rich coffee with infusions of dark chocolate and baking spice. Aceh has totally unique and intense taste, reflecting the essence of the region.
About the Coffee
Coffees from Sumatra, alongside other Indonesian beans, are well-known for their intense and heavy body with low levels of acidity. They can be prized for these attributes and often make fantastic espresso options thanks for their ability to cut through milk and provide weight and depth.
This Sumatran coffee comes from the surrounding areas of Lake Tekengon inside the province of Aceh. Some of the best coffees in Sumatra, like this one, come from the northern region of Aceh. Here, the average farm size is just one to five hectares across the country and different varietals can often be found growing together.
The coffee is produced by the ‘Giling Basah’ method. This is an unusual method due to the premature removal of the protective outer layer of the coffee bean known as the ‘parchment’ layer and it is responsible for the distinctive blueish hue of the raw coffee beans which tend to be more green in colour. This process is also the reason why Sumatran coffees have such a distinctive flavour profile. This coffee is an outstanding example of the very best of Sumatran coffee.
How to prepare
To get the most out of your Toast Coffee Pods we’d recommend the following:
- Use the espresso function on your machine. Toast Coffee Pods have been designed to extract as an espresso, please use the espresso button on your machine and not the lungo or ristretto (if your machine has this setting) option when making your coffee
- Use filtered tap water, this will best showcase the flavour of the coffee. We’d particularly recommend this in areas of hard water, as hard water can lead to coffee tasting slightly flat and bitter
- Warm your cup, to retain the delicate flavours of the coffee. To do this we recommend running water from your machine into your cup, this will also help to rinse your machine
- Warm your milk (if applicable), to retain the delicate flavours of the coffee. For best results use whole milk as this will lead to a better texture and will make the coffee taste richer, sweeter and creamier, the difference in fat content is only between 1 and 2% and it makes such a difference to the taste – you will also find the coffee is naturally sweet which should negate the need to use sugar (which adds extra calories!).
- Make small drinks to fully appreciate the quality and delicate flavours of our single-origin specialty coffee. Please refer to our guidance, which is aligned with leading specialty coffee shops, on the volume of water/milk to add to your espresso(s) dependent on the coffee drink you are making. Don’t be afraid to double-up on your pods, with double espressos as standard in specialty coffee shops (and indeed within high-street coffee chains, even though they typically use double the amount of water/milk for the equivalent drink).
Shipping and delivery
Free UK shipping
We offer free standard shipping on every order £35 and over delivered to the UK. No hidden charges apply.
For international delivery, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use the Royal Mail first class delivery service to fulfil our orders and subscriptions. Delivery days are Monday to Saturday.
For larger orders, we use courier services.
If you have any other queries, please email email@example.com and we’ll be on hand to help in any way we can.